Spotlight on…is an initiative of WICI (Women in Credit Insurance) aiming at highlighting females working in the Trade Credit Insurance business. Every month, an new interview article will be published on ICISA website.
Estelle has worked with Towergate Credit since 2010 and worked in the Credit Insurance industry for 37 years. She initially joined the industry, in a junior role at Trade Indemnity (now Allianz Trade) and worked with this underwriter for 5 years. She then transitioned to a Broking role of the sector, working for Aon (then called CIA). Estelle has remained in a Broking role for the last 32 years. She enjoys the challenge of a varied client base, working in all trade sectors with clients of varying size. Estelle loves the daily challenge that Credit Insurance brings, not knowing how each day will evolve and enjoy assisting clients.
What are your top tips for a successful career in the trade credit insurance industry?
- Be true to yourself and believe in “you”. If you value yourself, others will too
- Be conscious of the fact that there is always something new to learn. Personally, for me, this is the main reason that I have remained in the industry for so long – I love the fact that you never know everything, and we work in a constantly changing environment
What do you do to ensure that you continue to grow and develop as a leader?
I love to learn new things so ensure that I take part in any new training or learning opportunities. I also mentor colleagues, which helps me to understand things from other peoples’ perspectives.
Day-to-day/on-line training and Compliance modules also help.
Most importantly, speaking to colleagues and others within the industry helps me to learn and develop.
What is your favourite part of your job?
- meeting new people
- the opportunity to visit parts of the country that I would not necessarily have visited
- learning about new industries
- the fact that there is so much interaction between underwriters and Brokers
How did you get to where you are today?
I work hard but also enjoy what I do. I also believe that being part of a team and having a good network around you really helps.
What helps you to unwind/destress?
I work a shorter working week, with Fridays off, and ensure that I have lots of hobbies to keep me happy and take my focus away from my working week.